There is a sister in my ward that recently opened a chocolate shop in town. I went to visit her store today and I ended up being there about two hours. She's rather specific in chocolates (obviously) and desserts in general. Of course, knowing me, conversation lingered around cheesecake for a while. She doesn't particularly like cheesecake, specifically the typical graham cracker crust that seems to come on all cheesecake. She has officially challenged me to make a cheesecake that has a different, atypical crust as well as the smooth texture that is seemingly absent from commercially produced cheesecakes. In any case, I'm calling out to my taste-testers for any suggestions for crust, flavors, etc. I'm not creative as far as flavors, but I can implement someone else's good idea. :) She has even offered to let me have some of her quality chocolate to make the quality of the cheesecake better (if it has chocolate in it of course). So, feedback family!
Oh yeah, if I were at home I would post pictures from Thanksgiving for all to see... *hint hint*
Wednesday, November 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
Oreos in various forms seem popular. Could you use those in the crust instead of graham crackers? I think there are also chocolate graham crackers. Could you make some kind of "brownie" (i.e., moist and chewy) crust? I have a good chocolate cookie recipe that might be helpful. I will try to remember to look for it tonight.
I don't have any pictures from Thanksgiving or I would post them.
I've used Oreos before. She was specific to frown upon any manufactured cookie that was crumbled. I've done a brownie one once, but not recently. I've thought about a shortbread or biscotti kind of crust, but I'm just in the brainstorming phase right now. No need to spend my money on experiments right now. :)
Shortbread or any kind of good cookie--maybe chocolate chip--sounds good. Isn't biscotti kind of bread/toast-like? You might try something like Ashley's cookie recipe that uses a cake mix.
As far as flavors, a couple to consider might be a grasshopper-type (green/mint) and peppermint (red/white swirl). I think you have done a turtle type with caramel and pecans and peanut butter (Reese cup) type. Are there any other candy bar types you could do? (Snickers, Mounds/Almond Joy, Butterfinger).
What about something that would fit the "death by chocolate" description? Since you don't do coffee, you probably want to avoid a mocha or expresso theme. Study your cookbooks and see what kind of chocolate desserts could be converted.
Ok- Holly- First of all..I know..I know..pictures from Thanksgiving. I'll work on it, but things haven't slowed down a bit since everyone left my house.
I think you should make a really good peanut butter cookie recipe and use that instead of the graham crackers in the crust. Either that or a shortbread crust with some almonds, like the white chocolate blueberry cheesecake crust.
There's my 2 cents.
Post a Comment