Thursday, August 2, 2007
Only Chance?
I walked outside to water my little plants this morning and saw this...
I thought it might be a flower that only blooms for a little while and then dies, like on "Dennis the Menace." So I ran inside and got the camera. It is my okra plant. I researched a little this morning and it looks like right after the flower comes the fruit!! I am pretty excited!! The jalapenos are already coming in, but are a little small right now.
I have not researched too much about the bush beans, but the plant is pretty big and there are little flower looking things that come and go.
It is very exciting for me. I put a little garden together after Charity and Charles started talking about their sq ft gardens. We tried to get a small plot down stairs on the grounds, but we are not allowed. The sites that I looked up this morning said that okra plants usually grow between 2-7' tall!! It does not look like mine will get that tall, but it is a good size, close to 1'. Anyway, I was excited and thought y'all would like to know. How are everyone else's gardens?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
That's so awesome Matt! You have a garden! :)
Good for you, Matt! I don't have a garden and my back yard is overgrown with weeds. I'm thinking I'll wait until they die down before I try to clear it out.
Matt- My garden has done pretty good this summer. I got lots of zuchini and onions, as well as some sugar snap peas early in the season. I have some cherry tomatoes too, but my real disappointment has been my tomatoes. We have a rabbit that has been helping himself to them, one bite into each plump juicy, salsa-ready tomato. So I have tried to block his way into the yard, even trying to sick Max on him, but Max is more scared of the rabbit than the rabbit is of him. So I have been trying to pick them before they get very red and let them turn red in my kitchen window, which has helped, but I don't have enough tomatoes for my salsa! I am really disappointed. My jalapenos and Anaheim peppers have done well also. I grew those to go into the salsa though. I read that if you wash and rinse the jalapenos, put them in a glass jar and cover them with vinegar, they will keep indefinitely in the refrigerator. So that is what I did with mine until I decide what to do with them. I would love to get a recipe for pepper jelly, you know, the kind you put over a block of cream cheese and eat with crackers? So if you come across one, let me know.
It's amazing what you can grow even on a balcony!
Post a Comment