Friday, September 28, 2007

Just breathe...

Ok- today I, for real, almost left this life. I know I am normally very sarcastic, but this is serious. I was leaving to go pick Samantha up from school and ate a melba toast cracker as I walked out the door. By the time I opened the car door I was choking. I know what you are thinking, you should chew it up, DAH... I did chew it up and there were a ton of fine dust-like crumbs at the back of my throat. I couldn't swallow, nor could I breathe. I tried to cough but becuase I couldn't get any air, I couldn't get enough force to cough it out. I ran from the car inside as fast as I could as I started to get light headed. I ran to the sink and tried to get some water but when you can't breathe, you can't swallow either. For what seemed like 30 minutes but was in reality 10 minutes, I choked, coughed as much as I could and threw water in my mouth. I seriously saw my life pass before my eyes and thought that I would suffocate there in my kitchen, all alone. I, of course, was praying the whole time, that I could just get a good cough or at least a good breath, as I wheezed in and out short, tiny breaths. After a few minutes, I think it was the tears that ran down the back of my nose down my throat, that finally loosened the crumbs enough that I could cough a little more, then get a little more breath, but it still took me several minutes before I could get a full breath. It was the scariest thing I've experienced in a long time. Even now, my chest, and my throat are soar. Just wanted to share...thanks for letting me vent.

4 comments:

Holly Long said...

Wow. Muy scary! I can see why your throat is soaring, all that air going through it now. :) I'm glad you're okay.

NanaBell said...

Glad you're still here!

Bartholomew said...

Not to be mean or anything, but eating a melba toast cracker was your first mistake.....:-) I'm glad you're okay.

P.S. Reading your post made me have to take several deep breaths. Anyone else?

Ginny said...

Deep breaths...yes. I'm very glad you're still with us. Also, it reminded me of that "Just Breath" song by Anna Nalick.