It all actually began for me the night before. I had blocked off the evening because Mat Kearney and Five Times August were playing (as well as a Birmingham band, Wild Sweet Orange) at the Benson. I'm a fan of the two former artists and was very excited to attend. Earlier that day one of my classmates approached me and wanted me to do co-therapy with him that night. The session was at five so I agreed because the concert wasn't until 7:00. The session ended up going until 7:30 and Holly was not thrilled. Especially if any of you know how much I despise being late to...anything.
Wild Sweet Orange was already on stage, but I didn't know that there was an opening opener so I thought I missed Five Times August. In any case, I didn't so I was happy. :)
After, Five Times August's set Natasha and I went out to meet him (his name is really Brad Skistimas, but Five Times August is easier to spell and remember) and took pictures. His was the best set there! I even got his autograph! :) I forgot to put the flash back on when we went out to meet him so it's a pretty bad picture though.
Mat Kearney came out after an intermission and played wonderfully. I regretted not having listened to him non-stop as I usually do before concerts, but it was still good. The entire time I was waiting for him to play "Won't Back Down" which is my favorite song by him and he walked off the stage and it was over. Sad day. Fortunately, he remembered it was nearly my birthday and came out and did an encore of only my favorite song and left again. :)

Friday was work and Mom and Teh ended up showing up a little later than planned but it all worked out because I had to work late (and clean up a little more). Friday night we got some Grandpa's Barbecue where mom enticed the waitress into a conversation regarding the debate over whether the salad would be a satisfactory size or not.
Mom won of course and a cole slaw was ordered. Friday night we mostly watched movies which was nice to just chill. Oh yeah, and I made a raspberry cheesecake after they went to bed. I think I got to bed about 3:00.I woke up relatively early (for a Saturday 7:00 is early) and made some breakfast and then we headed to Little Rock for a few reasons. 1) I found a quilt shop in town and wanted mom to see it, 2) to get a memory card for mom's new (my old) digital camera and 3) to expose mom and Meredith to MiMi's Cafe. The quilt shop took a while, but mom got some great ideas (and I think a book). Then we stopped by the mall so Meredith could get her hair cut. We made it back with only an hour for them to rest while I fixed up the enchiladas for the potluck.
It was interesting to see what was going on at the MFT Potluck. Everyone was excited to meet Mom and Meredith (having heard so much about them all) in spite of mom's fear that everyone would now have a face to put with the person who "screwed her kids up so much". Most people liked the cheesecake (it could have been better) and some improvisations on the enchiladas due to time constraints prevented us from actually claiming it. :) Played some golf and headed home to watch another movie and have Pink Elephants.
Sunday was pretty good. Well, if by good I mean we were late for church, they had to miss breakfast and I made them stay after for choir because I'd missed for so long. :) I think it was good. Meredith wondered out loud how I "survived" with everyone in my ward being "old" but recent move-ins have made it a little easier to endure. Mom and Meredith got to put a certain name with a face in spite of the fact that we haven't spoken since he called and asked if I moved (due to out of town trips and rotations I missed five weeks in a row!). They slept while I made dinner and then they moseyed on along after a short photo-op. :) All together a good trip.
Unfortunately in all the excitement I failed to call Cliff and wish him a Happy Birthday on Sunday. I'm sure he'll make me pay for Casa Blanca next time I come visit for that mistake. ;) Actually, I crashed hard after they left and slept until it was far too late to call.In other news, this past week I saw Rosario Andino perform. She is a Cuban pianist and she was very good although it wasn't quite what I was expecting. :) Rotation changes in ten days which is going to be crazy, but I think good. Classes are in full swing and life gets busier by the moment.



2 comments:
Very thorough. Thanks for sharing. I wondered if we would ever hear about their visit. I thought maybe it turned out really bad so no one would talk about it...ha ha. Glad ya'll had fun.
I don't know about the rest of them, but I had a good time. It is a REALLY long drive. Since that terrible ride to Idaho and back, I just don't enjoy the road part of road trips as much as I used to.
Holly was a great hostess and had obviously gone out of her way to make sure we were comfortable. Her apartment was clean and neat and she let ME sleep in the bed. She even had yogurt for me in the fridge. Thanks, Holly!
It was nice to finally put some faces to the names of her classmates and see how well she is doing.
Post a Comment