Monday, June 30, 2008

No Bears Out Tonight

As most of you know, Nanny and I made a flying (on the highway) trip to Virginia last week. She got word on Sunday that her cousin Archa Vaughan Jr. had died. He had Alzheimer's disease and had been in a extended care facility in Pulaski for the last couple of years but had never spent a night in a hospital until he had a stroke just two weeks before he died. Nanny and Aunt Anne had just visited him in January while they were in Virginia for Tommy Schlosser's wedding. For those who are interested, here is the link to his obituary: http://www.legacy.com/TriCities/Obituaries.asp?Page=Notice&PersonID=112173464

We left on Tuesday morning and drove to Pulaski. It is right off of I-81 which we have traveled many times on the way to Blackberry Hill. (I couldn't figure out how to save just the map, so in case someone doesn't remember, here is the link to the directions and map. http://www.mapquest.com/mq/7-9Fx1ytB*L142cyxX)

The trip took about eight hours and we arrived at Stevens Funeral Home in Pulaski in time for the viewing, visited with the many family members who were there, and stayed for a brief ceremony conducted by Archa Jr.'s Masonic Lodge.

Nanny had made reservations at the Hampton Inn in Dublin, Virginia, which was about 15 miles down the road. By the time we got there, we were really hungry, so stopped at the adjacent Shoney's and ate at their buffet (They had liver and onions, yum!). We were joined by Aunt Anne and Uncle Robbie who, as luck would have it, has been visiting in Virginia Beach when Archa Jr. died. They both looked great and asked about all of you. (BTW Ginny, there is an envelope from them for you and Neal in your container in the pie safe.)

After a good night's sleep, we enjoyed an delicious breakfast in the hotel lobby, then headed for the funeral home. The service started at 11:30 and didn't last long, but was very nice. Archa Jr.'s son-in-law, Tom Sullivan, is a minister and assisted with the service. Since the cemetery in Floyd was a good distance away, there was not a procession. Bill Vaughan knows all of the shortcuts so we followed him over the back roads to Floyd. There was a large group at the cemetery including many local friends who had not been at the funeral home. Afterward, the family and many friends went back to Aunt Peg's house for a meal and visited for several hours. All agreed that Nanny was "in her element" talking to all the relatives.

As luck would have it, Beth (Robertson) and Steve Hedrick and their children (Austin, Peyton, Landon, Aiden and Maren) were staying at a cabin at Fairystone Stake Park that week. Chris and Heidi Robertson drove up with their children (Harley, Marshall, and Gracie) on Tuesday and spent the night with Beth and Steve, then drove over to the funeral. Beth and her youngest came with them and Steve and the others joined us at the farm. It was good to see all of them and finally meet Steve. We all got a laugh when I came up to him and said, "I haven't met you before" and he (not know who I was) began to explain that he was married to Anne Robertson's daughter. (Sorry, I didn't get pictures!)

After a little side trip that I will leave out for the sake of space and time, we headed up to the Blue Ridge Parkway to spend the night at the Rocky Knob cabins. People usually make reservations months in advance, but because it was the middle of the week, there was one vacancy.





We arrived after dark and the attendant had left the key in an envelope on the office door. With the exception of the addition of a larger refrigerator and several window fans, the place has changed very little from the last time we were there.









In spite of the Bear Alert which has been posted, all was quiet and peaceful. The air smelled wonderful and we enjoyed another good night's sleep.

The next morning, we packed up and headed for home, but not before (finally) getting some pictures. (Sorry about the poor quality. I used my phone and am still not too good with it.)





Outside Cabin #22:
(Nanny looks blind
with her cane
and sunglasses)






There were several "bear proof" garbage bins stationed around the cabins. When we checked out Thursday morning, the attendant pointed to a swing across from the office where she had seen a bear just a couple of days before.


After a brief shopping spree at Mabry Mill, we enjoyed the beautiful scenery as we drove down a leg of the Blue Ridge Parkway to reach I-77 near Fancy Gap, then back to I-81 to head home. We had some good country cooking when we stopped for supper in Tennessee and arrived back in Birmingham about ten o'clock that night.

12 comments:

Mere said...

Well that sounds so exciting! I sure do miss Rocky Knob cabins, many memories there! I'm jealous for sure!

Holly Long said...

I'm pretty jealous of the trip to Virginia, regardless of the somber circumstances. Good job on posting pictures and making the trip ticket free. (I'm only assuming based on the lack of mention of it.) :)

Next road trip...ARKANSAS!! :)

NanaBell said...

Yes, no tickets!

Ginny said...

I miss the Blue Ridge Mountains...

NanaBell said...

Those mountains are beautiful. It makes my heart sing to see them. Wouldn't it be fun to all go up there sometime and stay in the cabins?

Sarah said...

I'm impressed. But even more impressed with our cute PAAAAAAAAGE!!! I was feeling kinda dorky b/c everyone else has a cute page and we didn't. Who is in charge of doing our page thingy? Very sweet.

Sarah said...

And, I missed the pic of Nanny. That is too funny. Please save that one!!!!!!!! That is classic.

Matt and Jade said...

Thanks Mom for the post and pictures! Wow, what a trip! I am sure you both had a great time. Jade made the switch on the look of the blog, she also felt like the old page was a bit boring.

Matt and Jade said...

I would not mind someday making a trip up there, but we have no kids to drag along with us...others may think differently

Holly Long said...

What are you talking about Matt?! It's more fun with the kids! :) Then again, who am I to talk? I may be singing a different tune in ten years, haha!

Charity said...

The cabin is exactly as I remember it in my minds eye. Crazy!

Sarah said...

I agree Charity!! The only time I remember being up there was that year with Kate and Anne and Molly and it was a blast. And Matt...GO while you DON'T have kids otherwise you may not ever GET to go!!!