HA! I beat everyone to it. Of course, the day is almost over...
You know... it's a good feeling to tell someone you've got a friend serving in Iraq. An even better feeling to have a family member that serves. But it's completely different to be so closely attached to one who serves.
The wife (or husband, in some cases) and children of deployed servicemembers regularly deal with sadness, frustration, longing for their departed loved one, struggling with the burden of raising a family in righteousness with little or no help, etc.
The good feelings and pride associated with knowing your husband/father serves come at a tremendous sacrifice and they aren't felt nearly as often as those listed above.
For those reading this: That feeling of glory and pride you get when you tell someone your (brother, son, friend, etc.) is in Iraq comes at a cost. But who is paying that cost? Today, a 7 year old pays the cost by celebrating yet another birthday without his father. The deployed servicemember and the family left behind are the ones that make that sacrifice. That doesn't stop others from relishing in the glory though.
People often thank the Soldiers, but RARELY acknowledge the sacrifices of the ones with the more difficult task, the wife left at home to raise the children alone and the children who live without one parent, not only during the deployment, but also during TDY's, field exercises, late nights preparing for deployment, overnight duty shifts, etc.
Josh turned 7 today. Because of my service, I missed his birth and I've only been present for his 1st and 4th birthdays. Kids are resilient and Josh (and his mother and brothers) keep plugging along and I know that they will be better people because of these sacrifices.
We've each got our struggles resulting from the situations in which we find ourselves. For some of us, it's all we can do to worry about our immediate family, and that's understandable. We could each do a little better too, though. It's through serving others that we're able to find strength in our own trials.
You don't have to support the troops, but don't say you do and then do nothing. Supporting the troops entails more than just slapping a magnet on the back of your car. It can be doing something as simple as making a phone call or sending a letter - not necessarily to the Soldier, but to those who are serving and sacrificing at home (and not necessarily only on special occasions). If you're going to partake of the glory and pride you feel when you tell someone you're close to someone who serves, do your part to help ease the burden of those who sacrifice. Sometimes, a genuine gesture of love and support can lift the spirits of another who struggles.
Happy Birthday Josh. You're a stud! I hope this is the best day you have all year. Thank you for your sacrifices. I Love You!!
Saturday, August 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
Babe, Josh had a great birthday! We love you and miss you a ton!
What a sobering reminder, thank you so much and we are sorry that we have not been as supportive as we could have been. The good news is that we can change and today is the day! We love you and miss you!
Wow! I loved that. You have a way to put everything in the perfect way! I love you and your family!
wow- I feel horrible. I can see that my love for my family if unexpressed can never be realized by others. I'm sorry that I have been plagued with in-action. I desire to be better :(
Guilt trip accepted. :( Ditto to Charity's comments.
Post a Comment