Monday, June 25, 2007
I survived Girl's Camp!
Where to begin? All of the Stake Staff and YCLs (Youth Camp Leaders) arrived on Monday morning. I was going as an Assisitant YCL leader working under our YCL leader. Well- our YCL leader who is charge of all of the YCLs (who run all of the activities, service projects, devotionals, etc) got sick on day 1. She was sick with the flu and after dumping all of the information from her brain to ours (myself and 2 other Assistant YCL leaders) she went home not to return until Thursday afternoon, and the camp ended Friday morning. I was overwhelmed with just the craft, but soon became overwhelmed with sharing her responsibilities as well. The good news is that we survived and everyone said it was the best YW Camp they had ever been to. I think it was a tribute to all of her preparation. We just stepped in and made it happen according to her plans. But boy- was it a lot of work. I remembered how much I love skits! I was also assigned to sleep in the non-sleeper cabin. They basically have girls that like to stay up late and be silly and in the past they have spread them around and it irritates the girls that like their sleep, so they were combined into one cabin and I got to be the leader in their cabin. They were pretty tame every night (staying up only til about 12:30 am each night) until the last night when we slept outside and were silly until I fell asleep around 3:45am and they finally fell asleep around 4:30am. It was like being with your sisters. We did synchronized stargazing, where you do synchronized motions but you do them on your back looking up at the stars. There were also a lot of jokes about "who was on crack" (because we were sleeping on a row of air mattresses and someone was inevitably in the crack) and how they had been on LDS all day. We had a lot of fun. The girls were hoping to get in trouble for sleeping outside, so they would make a new rule that no one can sleep outside of the cabins. They wanted to be immortalized by having a rule made for next year because of what they did this year. I, of course, had to supervise. What would they do, fire me? So all night they'd say, "We're gonna get in so much trouble! It's so exciting!" But the next morning it was so funny, the Stake YW Presidency came out and saw them. They walked over to us freezing and shivering under our dew-covered pillows and blankets and the Stake YW President said, "oh- I wish I had known ya'll were going to sleep outside..I would've joined you!" They were so disappointed. It was a blast. And what incredible girls we have in our stake. I sure hope there are some great guys somewhere out there to marry these women, because these women are a force to be reckoned with. We had fun- I have calves of steel, I lost 2 pounds even though I had dessert every night and twice on Thursday, and the shirts are DONE! It's all good!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
I'm so glad you had fun! I thought about you tons last week. :)
What? No pictures?
Yeah no pic's?
The camp director collects pictures from the whole ward and gives them out in a DVD/CD. So when we get ours I will show some pics. I didn't want to take our digital camera to camp.
That sounds like so much fun! I miss going to scout camp and doing silly things! One time we had a guy go to the bathroom (yep the kind after one) right in the camp and then moved it the next morning; yeah, sick.
The whole time that I was reading this I thought that Alex had written it, because everything was worded so well and so mature. I was not sure why she was a YCL, but well done Charity!
Post a Comment