Thursday, June 28, 2007

Work in Progress




I don't know if I mentioned it, but a while back Charity had helped me remove the carpet from the downstairs steps so I could paint them. The carpet has been in terrible shape for years, so we just did it.
I had to take up all the tack strips up and pull out all the staples, then I sanded, applied wood filler, and sanded again. I picked out some oil-based enamel porch and deck paint; the color is called sandstone. I borrowed Uncle David's shop vac to vacuum up the dust from sanding.
I thought I would knock out the paint job on a Saturday afternoon, but realized that might not work. I forgot that I had to go up and down the steps in the meantime! So I taped the edges of every other step and painted them and one half of the landing at the top. After applying and letting two coats of paint dry, I pulled all the tape off and taped and painted the alternate steps. I applied the final coat last night and hope it will be dry before many of you arrive this weekend.
The pictures are provided at Holly's suggestion. I think all will agree they look much better.



5 comments:

Mere said...

Those are some masterpieces! You should see how much money you could make off those!

Holly Long said...

I suppose I should take some of my own advice! I am terrible about pictures! I'm thinking I'll take some pictures of the dogs today. :) It looks great mom! I'm excited to see it.

Charity said...

Wow--I can't believe the difference. It's a good thing you got those before and after pictures! It would be hard to imagine what they looked like before! What a crack-up!

Matt and Jade said...

Now I know where I got such artistic talent!! Now that the steps are painted though, could anyone slip down them if the steps get wet?

NanaBell said...

The steps are actually a little slippery without the carpet on them, but they look so much better!