
We put tarps up on the sides and under the wooden fort so nothing dripped on us and one underneath us to keep us dry. It took a while to build all the walls; I forgot how often youth are distracted, haha. I was like the dang taskmaster, I sure that if it weren't for the peach "cobbler" then they would have hated me, haha. So, I got a dutch oven for Christmas and I decided to use it by making cobbler. I thought it would be a nice treat and bring a real feeling of camping, even though we were in the backyard. 
We had a fire going and I had separate "coals" (an enviro-log for their fireplace; compacted old cardboard) for the dutch oven; it was on there for about a half hour. Everybody was ready for the cobbler so I cracked it open with the promise that we would eat it no matter what stage of cooking it was at.

Well, the butter melted, and that was it. So we had cake batter with a can of peaches and a stick of butter, all mixed up into cobbler soup.



We all slept well, Ryan's toes were really cold and needed one of my blankets, other than that though it was good. After we broke down "camp" in the morning we played football in the snow. That was a sure highlight. We could tackle and trip each other without it really hurting, we all had a good time. Charlie (11) and Chelize (12-13) were against Ryan (9) and me (23). C & C kept doing running plays, and Chelize is a hoss of a female, quite tough to get down sometimes. Ryan would just jump out of her way if she was heading for him, it was great! On the last down of the game C & C had the ball; last point would win it and they were like 2 yards from the end zone; I was not going to let them win, haha. So, I reared back, knowing they were going to run it and hit Chelize with all of my force, her feet slipped out from under her and she landed on her back, knocking the wind out of her. She was a little hurt, not talking for a minute or so, face turning purple and stuff, and the game was over, but Ryan and I did not want to celebrate our win on that note. It was a great weekend. Oh, the tent was for the "code-ster," he slept inside though. I wish I had pictures of the football game.



7 comments:
Looks like a sweet fort! We have none of those around here. But the snow is definitely fun!
What fun! Thanks for the pictures and the report. I'm glad I can view them from inside and with NO snow. It is great to look at, but I can do without it. Matt, it's great that you can spend time with the boys.
Yea, I've decided I really don't like cold weather. Alabama is just fine for me. Snow or no snow. Ya'll can have your snow caves and forts all you want. :) xoxo
You can all say what you want, but I'm jealous....
Give me snow anytime! As long as it's actually snow. None of that "undecided" mess that I've got all around here today. Plus, hanging out with the boys has got to be tons of fun!
Yeah it is very cold here but Matt and the kids seem to love it. Cody and I slept in the warm cozy house. Matt is a fabulous uncle! Way more fun than the mom!
As I read this, there is a slight draft from the vent blowing air onto me, and I am freezing cold..,you couldn't pay me right now to sleep out in that weather. If this is the kind of things boys like to do, then Matt in about 8-9 years you need to plan to come visit and sleep outside with my boy because it's too cold for my bones!
Post a Comment