I went to FOB Prosperity on Saturday. It's in the International Zone (IZ). I found out on Thursday night that I'd have to convoy over there on Saturday. I'm not big on convoys, but I knew that our route was relatively safe. One of the NCO's on the PSD (personnel security detachment) was conducting the convoy brief and I felt the Spirit confirm to me that I was in good hands. I am so grateful for the sweet peace that the Spirit brings. These Soldiers on the PSD escort the battalion commander all over the city, so they have a lot of experience on the road, and it shows. They were extremely professional and well trained; and most of them are just in their lower 20's.
The folks in my unit that are stationed at Prosperity work out of one of the palaces there. As palaces go, this one is rough. It has been bombed out in the center, and it was clear that it had been defaced pretty badly. I don't remember the name of the palace, but rumor has it that it was built for Saddam, but he never lived there because the first time he went there, he was not pleased with it.
I got a few pictures during the trip.
This is a stone carving depicting the USA bombs killing women and children. Interesting....
Note the "USA" etched on the bomb.
This was on the 3rd story balcony with an unfinished palace in the background. There are a bunch of palaces in the city that were being built when we invaded, and they remain in the same state even now. No, I'm not superimposed over this picture (although it looks like it).



10 comments:
!
I enjoyed your pictures! Those are some pretty cool...engravings! And that's a pretty picture with you in it!
Cool stuff...and you are not the only one who logs on hoping to find a post...I just don't think my posts would be very interesting without pictures, since everyone is far away and likes to SEE what is going on. Thanks for posting...
Charles, that is so cool! I'm sure it was nice to get out of your normal locale for a change, but convoys scare me. It's great to hear you were in good hands.
Also, the bomb with the USA on it reminds me of the movie Team America. So great.
Charles, I echo Ginny's comments about knowing you are in good hands. To the rest of you who might remember, is Charles beginning to look a lot like Gramps? I noticed it in one of his previous posts and can see it again in the picture he posted today.
That is really cool. Post as much stuff like that as you want. It is very interesting. But I don't like you wandering out. Can't you just stay put in your own little trailer thing? jk...!! And, Wow, he does look like Gramps...Gramps was a good-looking guy! Hehe And I'm with Charity- I have nothing interesting to post. I don't make any cool chairs or anything. :)
Gramps must have been one hot dude!
I'll say it again for you Ashley, Gramps must have been one hot dude! Cool pics Brotha. It is kind of neat to see all of that stuff. In years to come you'll be able to look back and see the progress that they have made over there, if you have not already. Have they taken down any of the Palaces, or do they leave them up? Thanks for posting!
No, they leave the palaces up. We pretty much use them all for our operations. The Iraqis get frustrated about it cuz we are occupying all of their good locations.
Post a Comment