Thursday, April 5, 2007

Caution

I know I was the last to post and all, but something happened to me yesterday that I felt like I needed to share with you guys, especially since most of my family is composed of girls.

I went to the park yesterday to do some reading on a pretty day and was there for four to five hours. I ended in a spot that was off the path a little by the creek. After I was there a while I noticed a guy noticing me. Being noticed is usually a somewhat flattering thing, so I didn't take the time to be wary of the situation. After a while I realized that he was trying to get up the nerve to talk to me. I continued my reading and eventually the guy disappeared. I didn't think anything of it other than the fact that I could get back to my reading for a while longer. I stayed for another hour or half an hour or so and then went to my car. I started to get in, but noticed a piece of paper on my windshield.

The note was from the guy. He talked about how it was weird to leave a note and how he walked an extra thirty minutes to try and get up the nerve to talk to me. He claimed to by shy at first in person and left his e-mail address. I polled some friends and family and the majority of them said "what the heck" and "what have you got to lose" and "you never know what could happen" and encouraged a response to his note. I decided I would use his e-mail address to find out whatever I could about him even after deciding against making any contact.

This morning when I tracked down a profile with his e-mail address connected to it, all information led me to believe he is married and not really someone anyone would/should be involved with.

It is scary how many people said to go ahead and were so trusting of this perfect stranger on the off chance that it might "turn into something". Sometimes turning into something isn't a good thing. It is scary to think there are people like that out there, talking to us, or our kids. I know I'm all tainted by all the talk about predators, etc. in my classes, but just keep your eyes and ears open, for you and for your kids. Be careful because there are scary people out there, that's all.

6 comments:

Charity said...

I think it's always good to make sure the venue where you meet someone is credible and safe. You are less likely to meet a married person at say, a church dance, than a public park. Something else that concerns me, which is also one reason why Alex isn't allowed to instant message or go in chat rooms, is that it takes away the need for REAL human interaction. Someone can easily plot what they are going to say or how they are going to say it by e-mail. Also- you miss out on the facial expressions and other signs as to how someone feels. What's the percentage of communication that is verbal? Something like... 10% and the rest you can't read by e-mail or a chat room. It's so impersonal .

Holly Long said...

This is true! I'm so glad I got out of the habit of IMs, chat rooms and e-mails although I've managed to get tone across in several e-mails in the past. I just worry for all the girls who don't think enough to check people out beforehand that might fall for this guy's schemes. The world is a scary place and you have to be a bit of a realist to survive without people taking advantage of you.

NanaBell said...

Very interesting. How do you track someone down if all you have is their email address? How did he know which car was yours? I'm glad you have an Alabama tag so he couldn't use your tag number to some how find your address in Arkansas.

Holly Long said...

His e-mail was a yahoo address and oftentimes people on yahoo create profiles to I just used the prefix to find it. My only guess about my car is that I was there for a long time and mine was the only one that didn't change. *shrugs* I did have some of my old mail on my front passenger seat, but I don't think he's an aggressive predator, but one that acts timid until he persuades you to meet up with him. I'm not really concerned as long as I don't get in touch with him.

Bartholomew said...

I'm curious about his profile and what led you to believe that he is someone that you would not want to be involved with, or even just get to know better. I think that if he was indeed a predator, that you were in a perfect situation "off the path by the creek" for him to take advantage of you, but he didn't. I think that it can't hurt to contact him, then again, I didn't see the profile either.

Holly Long said...

I never meant to say he was a predator. (I suppose I should have better worded that sentence in my comment to mom.) I just meant that because we talk about predators so much in class I was wary of this guy already. I posted a link to his profile on an entry in my LJ of the same date, but I didn't want it to be something that some of the younger crowd could look at because it's hardly appropriate. If you're curious, you can check the LJ and then tell me what you think. :)