Monday, April 16, 2007

Madison's Finest

Yesterday, I came home from church to see 2 uniformed police officers coming out my front door. To preface this, Alex's friend Marissa came to church with us again yesterday, but didn't want to stay for choir practice, so our friend and neighbor, Wendi Trappett brought home. Wendi also took Samantha with her to play with her daughter while we were at choir practice. So when I got to pick up Samantha after choir practice, I notice 2 police cars in front of my house down the street. I get Samantha and tell her to come quickly so we can find out what is happening down by our house. Well- Wendi says, "When I dropped off Marissa, there was an old blue car parked in front of your house and a strange man was ringing your doorbell." So we hurried home to see what was up.
The girls decided they wanted to stay in the car until I checked things out (wusses). I picked up the newspaper and started walking toward the police cars, and realized no one was in the police cars. As I looked at the side gate, it was open. SO I started heading for the front door when the 2 policeman opened my front door and walked out onto the porch. YOU'RE RIVETED AREN'T YOU? By the way, this is a true story...So I say , "Uh- is everything ...uh...okay...in my ...uh...house?" They said that it appeared to be and asked me to come take a look and see if everything was in order. Order is not the word I would've used since this weekend was the first in quite some time that I didn't clean the house AT ALL. I was embarrassed that anyone had come inside and seen it the way it looked. I told them that I wish I could blame the mess on some intruder, but it was all ours. As I walked through to make sure nothing was missing, they explained to me what happened. Apparently, when the girls took Max out yesterday morning before church, they left the back door cracked. Later, after we left, the door blew open. Our back door neighbor noticed before he went to church that the back door was open. When he got back from church he asked his wife if she had seen the girls out playing and she said no, so he started to worry. He drove over and rang the doorbell to see if everything was okay (hence the strange guy in the blue car). No one answered so he called the police to come check things out and make sure everything was okay. So, needless to say, it was an exciting and interesting diversion to our usual Sunday afternoon. Everything was fine, and I called to thank our neighbor for paying attention and caring enough to be concerned when things didn't look right. That was my excitement for the weekend.
So, what did ya'll do this weekend?

2 comments:

Mere said...

WOW! That's insane, not nearly as exciting as my saturday full of flying and driving. Thanks again to everyone who helped me get to and from everywhere! Glad you are all ok! Love you!

Matt and Jade said...

Not to one up, but I played army paint-ball, camped outside, simulated infantry tactics, used a map and compass to find things during the day and night, ruck marched about 8 miles, met new friends, took a PT test, ate pizza, taco time and lots of MREs, wore big brown glasses, and had a lot of fun. The FTX was awesome. Your weekend sounded exciting as well! I am glad that all is well with you too, Meredith.