Monday, July 16, 2007

Now I have got some...

pictures. We got a vacuum sealer a little while back and I have been using it all the time to freeze leftovers so they keep better. I made some banana bread and decided that I would vacuum seal a loaf so I could have some later, but it did not turn out as I had planned.
I talked to Holly about it and we decided that for things like this, the item is supposed to be partially frozen first to maintain its shape. Yeah, I have not eaten the frozen one yet, but it is about half the size of what it used to be.
Yesterday I made a cake because there was going to be a huge fireworks thing on campus.
I decorated it with some July themed stuff: pioneers (top left), fireworks (bottom right), and a sun (top right; it has been super hot here lately). I left the right side alone so Jade could have some untainted yellow cake with chocolate frosting, which is her favorite! We watched the fireworks from the 10th floor of the residence tower next to our building. It was really neat, because we could see the fireworks shoot off on the ground and then they were right in front of us. Along with the fireworks there was an orchestra that performed to go along with the music. We could not hear the music very well from where we were and because of the fireworks too.
The reason that they were having fireworks is to kick off "Ogden Pioneer Days." Pioneer Day is a huge thing around here. I don't even think I knew when Pioneer Day was before I moved here. It is a big to do here; all sorts of rodeos, parades, fireworks and other various activities will be going on until the 24th, which is Pioneer Day. Cool hunh?

7 comments:

Holly Long said...

I had forgotten about the vacuum sealer, haha. Good times! :) They're having a big ward fish fry for our Pioneer Day thing, but I'm not going.

NanaBell said...

The vacuum sealer sounds cool! Good job on the cake decorating. Do you remember studying my cake decorating books when you were younger? You were so interested in them that Sarah was worried about you! Our ward is having an ice cream social before the Pioneer Day broadcast Friday night. I'd rather stay home and watch it on BYU-TV.

Charity said...

I wish I had a vacuum sealer--that looks fun...and useful! That cake looks yummy too! How nice that you can see the fireworks so well from where you were. I remember the first time I was out west for Pioneer Day and I didn't realize it was such a big deal either. But it's like they celebrate western style stuff ALL MONTH LONG! Fun but, you know...how many times do you have to walk around with bonnets on...come on!

Al said...

Nice firework pic! :)

Matt and Jade said...

Wait a minute...I see a bit of a trend. Holly and Mom both have ward activities that they can go to, but are not. Either they have a good excuse, or they do not like free food that they may not like, or are super busy, or subconsciously don't feel like supporting the ward.

Holly Long said...

I am on rotation at Capstone from 8-5 and the activity is at 11. I will be catching the end of a 2-8 activity in Little Rock with the YSAs if that makes you feel better. :)

NanaBell said...

So are you trying to guilt me into going?